"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." ~E.L. Doctorow

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cliche

Have you ever written a scene only to feel like it is a screaming cliche? I was just in the process of rewriting my opening and characters were demanding me to write it a certain way, but the scene just seems so cliche! So done before.
And of all the parts of your story you need to be startlingly innovative - in every sense of the word - the opening is it.

So now I'm just sitting here staring at the screen trying to figured out how is God's green earth will I spice it up and make it different. The scenario must change but the characters are still demanding their due.
Hmmm.....
Such are the problems of an author.

5 comments:

Catherine Stine said...

Yes, and I promptly delete it and start over! If I need to, I do a freewrite, to try and get deeper, or more into the action and out of cliche. Good luck with it.

C.M. Villani said...

Thanks Catherine. :)
Yup a bright, sparkly new word document page is open and await words. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Samantha Sotto-Yambao said...

Absolutely. I'm going to echo Catherine. In cases like this, my best friend is the delete button :)

C.M. Villani said...

Well I think I've come up with an alternative opening. Fingers crossed it will better than the last.

And for the count I believe this is opening number 4 for this story. O_o Really really hoping its the last.

Nicole said...

I am a fan of cliche. :D

Post a Comment