"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." ~E.L. Doctorow

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Escape Route

Ever have one of those writing moments when you’ve been sitting in front of your computer monitor for a couple hours or more and you’ve accomplished nothing? You keep trying to get this scene out but everything you write is just wrong so you end up just staring at that last punctuation mark without knowing how exactly to move on?

That’s the point when I need to take a step back and let my mind escape for an evening because if I keep pushing it I’ll just drive myself mad. So this is usually the point when I do one of a million other hobbies I dabbling in to pass the time. Scrapbooking, quilting, or if I just feel like vegging out – reading, watching tv, or surfing the Internet.

Anyway, last night, I while surfing aimlessly without finding something engaging on the web, I was wondering what the rest of you guys do when you need a night away from the Word document?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I would probably bake so that when I come back I've got some yummies to keep me company!! If they're chocolate, so much the better...

C.M. Villani said...

Hahaha. Oh that would be very dangerous if that became a habit for me. :D I totally hear you though Elizabeth!

Roxanne said...

When I need a break from the computer screen, I got for a walk or go to the gym. It makes me feel better for being such a hermit at the computer for so long.

Kelly Hashway said...

I read. I figure it's researching the craft. Reading great books helps me get creative again and then I can get back to writing that scene that's giving me a hard time.

C.M. Villani said...

Roxanne - I always feel better after hitting the gym too. Unfortunately I have two little ones so that's not always the easiest thing to do. :)

Kelly - Reading is great for pulling your head out of your own story. The other good side effect is that some of the time when I'm writing and get burnt out, I think "This is such crap! I can't write worth a damn." But then I go back and read a book I absolutely love and by the end I think, in comparison there really isn't much different in the way this author writes and the way I do. She doesn't use some sort of miraculously beautiful words or anything....it’s the same as mine. And her story turned out phenomenal!

Does that even make sense? Sorry... long day so far. :)

Samantha Sotto said...

I can TOTALLY relate to your post. Whenever I feel the need to take a break, I scavenge the kitchen for a snack - preferably one that involves chocolate ;)

C.M. Villani said...

:) Hence the frozen mint Milano cookies habit. Be warned...very addictive.

Kerry Ann @Vinobaby's Voice said...

I have been having a very rough time with a particular scene for a couple of days now. This morning I will hide from it by hitting the gym and running errands. If I can figure it out by this afternoon (I hope) I go back to work. If not, yard work and the garden will be calling.

C.M. Villani said...

So how did it go VB? Did you get through it? Let me just say if you live somewhere it is warm enough to even contemplate gardening and yard work you're a very lucky person. The Northeast is fridged this morning. :P

Can I just say ... I'm sooooo done with winter.

Nicole said...

I email you. Tee Hee!!!! This is why I NEVER get any writing done.

Post a Comment